Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bigelow Free Public Library, Clinton, Massachusetts -- Genealogy Collection


I loved the original reference desk. Actually, I think everything in the Bigelow Free Public Library was original, some features charming, others quite dated. They are lacking in space, and as a result, there is no genealogy room. The only things available to genealogists are the microfilm reader (below) and some very old rolls of film. They also offer on their computers subscriber databases such as Ancestry and Heritage Quest. There are some genealogy / local history books in their closed stack area, but I wasn't allowed to go there (that area is behind the reference desk, shown above).
Microfilm reader, printer and file cabinet with newspaper film. This is in the main reading room.

Children's room, on an upper floor.
Library on a busy corner, hidden by the huge tree. I was told that the old Clinton Historical Society was next door, so I walked over...what a beautiful building. Unfortunately, they weren't open, but I'll be back.